Proposals have been in the process of submission to give a status as a constitutional province to Gilgit-Baltistan. It can also be upgraded to be called as a `provisional province. The information minister Ibrahim Sanai and Sartaj Aziz, the Adviser on Foreign Affairs has been heading the panel to come up on the conclusive note.
It is expected that on Jan 14, 2016, meeting of GilgitBaltistan`s constitution committee might also take place. So the question is whether Gilgit-Baltistan will come out as a constitutional province or it will come out as a `provisional province`?
Why Gilgit-Baltistan status should be upgraded?
- China has raised this objection because of China- Pakistan Economic Corridor project. China is of this view that that cannot at all invest billions of dollars on that road that will be making its way through a disputed territory. As this disputed territory has been claimed both by India and Pakistan. So upgrading status of Gilgit-Baltistan should be sorted out for China- Pakistan Economic Corridor project.
- India has criticised this China- Pakistan Economic Corridor project because according to them this project will be passing through a territory that has been claimed by India.
Positives of granting status to Gilgit-Baltistan
- This proposal would be able to grant Gilgit-Baltistan some massive legislative powers.
- It will also allow it to control all of its revenue.
- This proposal will also send two lawmakers of Gilgit-Baltistan to parliament albeit as observers.
Negatives of granting status to Gilgit-Baltistan
- The acceptance of this proposal will end the Kashmir conflict and Indian will be able to legitimize its absorption of Kashmir valley.
- It is according to Mohan Guruswamy who is the head of the New Delhi-based think tank Centre for Policy Alternatives that because of acceptance of this proposal, some noise will roar in India. On the other hand, he has also given this assurance that so far no political consensus has been made to take back this disputed territory from Pakistan.
So far Gilgit-Baltistan has an ambiguous legal status. It has quite little and tiny say in its own affairs. It is directly ruled from Islamabad and possess no autonomy. It should be made an independent provisional province. It should be given a legal cover so that China- Pakistan Economic Corridor project can be carried on smoothly. Plus this province should be given an ultimate right to utilize its natural resources.